The Sao Francisco de Assis Church is located in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, a big city in Brazil. It was inaugurated in 1943 and Oscar Niemeyer made its architectural project. It is situated in an area inside Belo Horizonte, called Pampulha, which has many other projects of Niemeyer. So the church, best known as Pampulha’s Church is part of a complex of buildings (a casino, the church, a ballroom and a yacht club) around an artificial pond dated from the 40’s and is the realization of what would become the guideline for the next projects developed by the architect: an architecture which will be leading by the plasticity of reinforced concrete structure, in bold, new and striking forms.
The Pampulha’s Church is considered one of the masterpieces of the Pampulha’s Complex, since it can be regarded as a synthesis of form, structure and plasticity, through its vaults. On the south façade of the church we can find a panel made by Cândido Portinari, a famous Brazilian artist, and the landscape project around the building was made by Roberto Burle Marx, a famous Brazilian artist and landscaper.
On the outside it’s covered with ceramic inserts in shades of light blue and white, forming abstract designs. The little church of Pampulha is one of the most popular "postcards" of Belo Horizonte.